ANA administers first lecanemab infusion in PA

Abington Neurological Associates (ANA) is pleased to announce the first infusion of lecanemab (Leqembi) in the state of PA. Under the direction of Dr. Weisman as the site’s principal investigator, ANA is proud to have played a role in the clinical trials demonstrating that Leqembi is safe and effective in treating Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s. These trials show Leqembi reduces progression of memory loss in those with Alzheimer’s disease by about 30%.

ANA is committed to improving the lives of our patients through innovative treatments and groundbreaking research. We are proud to have helped developed this medication, which will revolutionize the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.

“We are thrilled with the results from the lecanemab trials,” said Dr. Weisman. “I enrolled our first subject into the phase II trial in 2013, and we are finally seeing the fruits of this labor, thanks to the hard work of our staff and our study subjects, whom we hold in highest regard. Without them, there could be no advances. We now turn towards two goals: adopting this as standard of care so that all who qualify can benefit from this medication and, because the drug slows the disease by 30%, focusing on the remaining 70% with drugs in development. While this is an important milestone to make a real difference in our patient’s and their family’s lives, this is not a finish line.”

ANA continues to conduct clinical trials to evaluate the safety and efficacy of other treatments. We remain committed to bringing innovative treatments, stabilize this disease, and improve the health and well-being of our patients. 

Because Medicare is not covering the medication, part of ANA’s work is advocacy. “In order to permit health equity, Medicare must cover this medication. The lack of coverage permits disease progression and is not in line with Medicare’s ideals or responsibilities.”